Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Braised Short Rib with Cilantro Chimmichuri Yogurt, jalapeño semolina cake, chorizo, and queso fresco



Braised short ribs are awesome, and I love making them.This time, I decided I was going to braise the short ribs with Jameson and red wine (and beef stock). I seared the short ribs in a saute pan on high heat, and then added the Jameson (about 1.5 cups) and let the alcohol flambé until it burned off. Then I turned the heat down very low. 

In the meantime, I had another pot going on the stove where I was reinforcing the beef stock with more vegetables that would go in the braise. I sauteed carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in the pan before adding spices (corriander seed, mustard seed, black peppercorns), bay leaves, then I added the majority of a 750ml Bottle of red wine (had to leave a little of it to drink...) and let it come up to a boil and let the alcohol cook off. Then I added beef stock to the mixture and let it boil. I poured the stock into the pan with the short ribs and Jameson. Then I covered it and put it in the oven at 250 degrees for a bit more than 3 hours.

Once removed from the liquid, trim the short ribs off the bone and trim off any cartilage. Reduce the liquid until it coats the back of a spoon, taste and season accordingly.

I also experimented with savory semolina cakes, adding in the spicy jalapeño. I first whipped egg whites in the mixer until they formed soft peaks, then began adding the rest of my ingredients, the result was a very porous, light and fluffy muffin of sorts. I draped the half muffin with chorizo and queso fresco.

The orange sauce on the plate is a chipotle yogurt, made from blending chipotle peppers, adobo, vinegar, sugar, chile paste, chili powder, salt, and greek yogurt together. It was very spicy.

The Green sauce on the plate is a variation on a chimmichuri sauce. I blended cilantro, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, and spicy peppers, salt and pepper in the Vita-Prep, and the once it was pureed, I added in yogurt until it reached the desired consistency.

Here is another view of the plate, before the glaze was put on the plate (which I did with a brush)




No comments:

Post a Comment